By being hired into one of our Other jobs at , you’ll be a key member of the team. Professionals in Other careers come from a variety of backgrounds, bringing an assortment of knowledge and skills to every area of our business. Please click on your desired Other job below to learn more about the exact qualifications. A job in Other at may be waiting for you!
Industry or Theme: Functional Area: Contract Type: Reference Number: CA01453 Listing Date: 11.07.2014 00:00:00 Closing Date: 28.08.2014 00:00:00
Reporting to the Operations Supervisor, Department Manager or Department Supervisor (a “Manager/Supervisor”), the Intermediate Operator will be carrying out a variety of field and office duties under the supervision of senior personnel. The position is an intermediate level field position with SGS Canada Inc. (SGS). The individual has responsibility for carrying out his/her duties through adherence to company and relevant Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s). The individual is familiar with the company health & safety, environment, productivity, and quality priorities, ensuring that all of these issues are addressed and optimized, with any irregularities being addressed immediately or reported to the Manager / Supervisor promptly for further action.
- Operations / Maintenance Supervisor,Fort McMurrayTailings Site
- Department Manager or Department Supervisor (a “Manager/Supervisor”)
- The individual is responsible for learning and/or expanding experience in routine operational and maintenance duties to support tailings pond, extraction, upgrading or mining operations. The individual also starts to take a lead role in certain jobs/tasks, and ensures more junior employees adhere to SOP’s, and HS&E policies on the job-site. Duties could include but are not limited to bird deterrent activities, tailings line moves, barge moves, pump maintenance, cannon / effigy maintenance, water supply lines, and operation of boats, picker trucks, bobcats, loaders, forklifts. In addition, the individual may be ask to assist in technical tasks including pond sampling and sounding, insitu testing, instrumentation installations, mudline and pond elevation surveys, and other related duties. The individual could be working from a boat or barge frequently.
- The individual is responsible for maintaining good reporting skills and communication skills. This includes completing one Daily Operators’ Report, fully and completely, for each project worked on in the course of a day, detailing the daily project activities, any conversations between SGS and the client or contractor, daily test results and details of any problems encountered and submit to immediate supervisor for review. All paperwork must be clear, concise, complete and accurate.
- The individual ensures daily completion and submission of all reports and other necessary documentation, including timesheets, vehicle logs, and daily operator reports and other documentation, i.e. lates, sicks, records of discussion.
- The individual keeps the Manager / Supervisor informed of any operational, safety or housekeeping issues, actions taken or required, and situations in the area.
- The individual is capable of performing or willing to assist in core cutting and handling, or general maintenance duties at the SGS main facility inFort McMurrayfrom time-to-time.
- The standard workweek is 40 hours per week with a potential for overtime during peak project periods. Shifts may vary from 4 - 10 hour days, 5 - 8 hour days, 10-12 hour days or a variety of others depending on the project(s) the individual is assigned to. Night shift work may be required on selected projects.
- Ensures work practices are carried out according to established methods, SOPs and that they meet all QC standards and best practices where this is required or appropriate.
- May investigate and propose solutions to QC problems (outliers) to the Manager / Supervisor
SGS is the worlds leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world.
Incumbents must have a High School Diploma. Progression from OPE-G3 to OPE-G4 level is attained after having achieved satisfactory hands-on experience, and a proven ability to carry out tasks with a minimum of direction.
- Must be self-motivated and able to multi-task.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Extended hours and shift work may be required from time to time.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Must possess good communication (verbal / written) and interpersonal skills, at all levels;
- Must work well under pressure;
- Must be fluent in English;
- Must apply judgment and act according to SGS standards for ethics and integrity.
- Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
For candidates who meet these pre-requisites, SGS offers a stimulating professional, environment and a very competitive compensation package.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings must be authorized to work in Canada.
SGS is the World's Leading Inspection, Testing, Verification & Certification Company.
SGS Canada is an Employment Equity Employer