Laboratory Technician- Remote Mine Site Lab
- 023894 Requisition #
- Dec 30, 2016 Post Date
Instrumentation Lab Technician (Remote mining site Nunavut)
NOTE to all the applicants:
Please note that this is a 3 weeks IN/3 weeks OUT FIFO position (Fly In-Fly Out rotation every 3 weeks). Candidates have to be based in Edmonton, AB from where they will be flying periodically to the site.
Facilities are located in a remote mining site in Hope Bay, Nunavut.
We are offering a very attractive compensation package (between the best of the industry) which also includes:
• Rotational Airplane trips
• Contemporary living conditions.
• Comfortable single occupancy rooms, laundry facilities, high-speed/unlimited internet, a gym and a lounge.
• The gym features weights, treadmills, stationary bikes, orbital machines and a rowing machine.
• An Inuit cultural Centre that includes books and videos.
• The furnished lounge includes comfortable couches, a pool table, table tennis, board games and big-screen TV. A separate lounge for smokers is available.
• Free hot meals are offered in the cafeteria 3 times a day with additional items including baked goods, juices and hot drinks available 24/7.
Do not hesitate to apply, come to live the most exciting professional adventure of your life.
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world.
SGS offers market leading geochemical, metallurgical, oil sands, coal and trade services, from 15 locations across the country. Minerals Services is well positioned to serve the mining and energy sectors at every stage, from exploration all the way through to its environmental impact.
The Instrumentation Technician is responsible for fulfilling routine Geochemistry analytical testing, analysis and basic skills of instrument operations. In addition, to performing these responsibilities, the Instrumentation Technician is to follow specified work instructions and laboratory quality guidelines and procedures under the direction of the area Supervisor.
• Performs and executes laboratory techniques as per methods independently, following the company’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to carry out analyses.
• Documents information by maintaining daily logs and equipment record books.
• Recording and periodically interpreting results to present to senior colleagues, results are evaluated in a timely manner.
• Keeps laboratory supplies readily available by inventorying stock.
• Assists in maintaining and operates equipment by following operating instructions, troubleshooting breakdowns and performing preventive maintenance. Record findings in logbook.
• Carry out routine instrument checks for compliance and accurate testing results. Record findings in logbooks.
• Assists with preparing method SOP’s, validation protocol and reporting.
• Demonstrates safe work habits and enforces a clean and organized working environment.
• Assists the Department Supervisor in monitoring and checking for the completion of all daily H&S checks, monthly H&S meetings, emergency protocol and any incident/accident reports
• Education: BSc. or Diploma in a Science related program or equivalent experience or training
• Experience: Minimum 1 – 3 years of relevant laboratory work experience required
• Previous experience using a variety of Geochemistry instrumentation.
• Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
• Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
• Candidates must be proficient in using various types of computer software (Word, Excel and Outlook).
• Good hand/eye coordination when handling samples & lab equipment.
• Must use good judgment to identify and resolve problems on the job. When in difficulty refer problems to his/her supervisor for resolution.
• Intermediate level of creativity required in solving routine problems.
• Able to work well under pressure during high (peak) workloads and balancing conflicting demands of high volume versus the quality of results.
• Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
• Ability to work well with others & independently.
• Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
• Works well under pressure.
• Extended hours and shift work may be required from time to time.
• Travel to other SGS locations may be required from time to time.
• Fly in fly out- 3W in/ 3W out
• Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
SGS Canada is an Employment Equity Employer. For candidates who meet these pre-requisites, SGS offers a stimulating professional, environment and a very competitive compensation package.
SGS Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian jobs openings must be authorized to work in Canada.