Sample Preparation Technician
- 024065 Requisition #
- Feb 14, 2017 Post Date
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world.
SGS offers market leading geochemical, metallurgical, oil sands, coal and trade services, from 15 locations across the country. Minerals Services is well positioned to serve the mining and energy sectors at every stage, from exploration all the way through to its environmental impact.
The Sample Preparation technician is responsible for performing routine sorting, transferring, drying, crushing, pulverising and screening of geological materials in accordance with client work order instructions and laboratory quality guidelines and procedures.
- Unpack, sort, transfer and dry samples
- Execute and perform crushing, pulverising and screening of geological materials as per SGS’ Standard Operating Procedures.
- Conduct routine quality checks including particle size analysis, dust loss and report data immediately to the Supervisor or group leader if results are outside of acceptability parameters.
- Ensure that work order documentation is complete in every respect and QC results are entered into SLIMS as necessary.
- Maintain clean and organized workbench area ensuring spills are immediately cleaned; disposal is according to laboratory procedures including any special requirements for handling international soils.
- Ensure that equipment is maintained in good order making the Supervisor or group leader aware of any damaged or defective equipment or any equipment requiring adjustment i.e. pulverising time or crushers gapping.
- Keep all records and notebooks in good order including work order and equipment maintenance logs .
- May be asked to work in other areas of the Geochemistry laboratory sections when required.
For candidates who meet these pre-requisites, SGS offers a stimulating professional, environment and a very competitive compensation package.
SGS Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian jobs openings must be authorized to work in Canada.
SGS is the World's Leading Inspection, Testing, Verification & Certification Company
SGS Canada is an Employment Equity Employer
- High school Diploma.
- 0 - 1 years of relevant work experience required or equivalent experience through education.
- Strong analytical and mechanical skills
- Ability to perform routine bench tests
- A willingness to learn new analytical tests, instrumentation and procedures
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Candidates must demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Works well under pressure.
- Extended hours and shift work may be required from time to time.
- Travel to other SGS locations or client location may be required.
- Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.